Some New Plumage on LTDU

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2006
      Hi -- The Long-tailed Duck is changing in appearance from just
      two weeks ago. He is growing new feathers on the scapulars,
      crown, auriculars, face and breast. His face has changed from
      "winter" male to "spring" male, with the crown, nape and side of
      the neck now mostly black. Up until very recently, the crown
      was white and the face was generally dark. See Sibley for
      comparison.
      The scapulars and mantle are now black and brown, but the
      main, flight feathers are still very worn. The breast is still
      mostly white with blotchy blackish spotting. The tail is short.

      I saw him fly about 3 or 4 feet from the sandbar to the water.
      Then, he swam to the next sandbar and ran on the sand,
      flapping his wings, but he did not take off.

      Karen Havlena
      Ten Mile area north of Fort Bragg

    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2006
        I saw him yesterday for the first time, and am glad to have this
        confirmation of his changed plumage. I'd been expecting a long tail,
        for one thing. Now I know that I was definitely looking at the right
        bird.

        When I first saw him he was sitting on a log on the east side of the
        bridge toward the south side of the river with 2-3 mergansers on each
        side of him. As I watched a new merganser arrived and "bumped" him off
        the log.

        Kate