Greater Roadrunner

  • choatzin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16 6:53 PM
      Sunday 06 July 16

      Debra and Gigi Attaway were surprised and thrilled to see a GREATER
      ROADRUNNER on Old River Road about two miles south of Talmage this
      afternoon.

      Cheryl Watson
      Ukiah
    • Erica Fielder
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17 11:06 AM
        Dear All,

        I watched a kestrel move from one cliff swallow nest to the next
        beneath the Ten Mile Bridge looking for nestlings. It hangs onto the
        edge of the mud nest and reaches its head and shoulders far into the
        hole. Now that the babies are nearly full grown, they cannot move away
        from the hole as well and the kestrel seems more successful at grabbing
        a baby. I often see it sitting on the wire that runs parallel to the
        bridge on the east side. This is the second summer that it has dined on
        baby swallows.

        Yesterday I saw a coyote stalk the resident flock of parents and full
        grown young Canada geese across the mudflat at Ten Mile. I don't see
        coyotes often so this was a thrill. The geese, of course, saw the
        coyote and raised a ruckus that then attracted ravens. The coyote soon
        left, flopping its ears and ducking a raven's repeated attacks.

        Erica Fielder

        On Jul 16, 2006, at 6:53 PM, choatzin wrote:

        > Sunday 06 July 16
        >
        > Debra and Gigi Attaway were surprised and thrilled to see a GREATER
        > ROADRUNNER on Old River Road about two miles south of Talmage this
        > afternoon.
        >
        > Cheryl Watson
        > Ukiah

        > email to these addresses:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        For more information on Erica Fielder Studio,
        please see my two websites:
        www.ericafielder-ecoartist.com
        www.birdfeederhat.org

        Erica Fielder Studio
        P.O. Box 1075,
        Mendocino, CA 95460
      • Robert Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2012
          2 October 2012 - sorry for the late post but just found out. A non-birder well-described to Lue Owens (long-time Covelo birder) a Greater Roadrunner seen at about mile 17 of the Covelo Road last Saturday 29 Sept., east of Dos Rios and Stewart's Point ... a few sharp curves in the road ... then a left hand turn to start uphill. The bird was on the right shoulder (southside) then ran off downhill. These birds seem to be notorious for not being refound .... Good luck! Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
          Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
          4070 University Rd.
          Hopland, CA 95449
          707-744-1424 ext. 112
          Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

        • Robert Keiffer
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2013
            2 September 2013 - Monday - Dr. Robert Lane just reported to me that he saw a Greater Roadrunner here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center last Monday. It was seen in the James III Pasture between the Sargent Cypress grove and the Hog Lake RAWS weather station at 10:30 AM. If anyone wishes to pursue this bird please email me or call me to arrange. Good Birding! Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...> 707-744-1424 ext 112.