Gray Jay, Rinoceros Auklet, & Tufted Puffin

  • Dean Manley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2006
      This is a repost as my original post was hung up in the new
      poster queue. Sorry about the lateness but I think it is still
      relevant.

      Hi all,

      I made a one day dash to the Mendocino coast, Tuesday
      07/11/06, based in part on Matt Brady's post. I saw at least 2
      GRAY JAYS in the upper campground of Van Damme SP.

      I then headed for the Mendocino Headlands Common Murre
      colony. Walking part way out to the point from the parking area I
      scanned the ocean to the north and found something different.
      The bill shape/size looked good for a Rhinoceros Auklet but the
      image was distant and poor and my experience zero on this bird
      so I went on out to the point. Kerry Ross arrived shortly and said
      he had seen 8 Rhinoceros Auklets earlier in the morning. He
      quickly found a small group, while viewing well out past the
      south end of the murre colony. I had better looks of at least 3 of
      these RHINOCEROS AUKLETS and was confident of the id. We
      moved back around the trail to another small point north of the
      parking area. I was able to see at least 3 more rhinos,
      including the horn feature.

      Kerry spotted a breeding plumage TUFTED PUFFIN in much
      closer. Excellent scope views were enjoyed. The puffin was
      carrying what appeared to be a feather in it 's bill. A breeding
      indicator? Regrettably the Tufted Puffin flew while we were
      distracted for a few seconds and we didn't see where it went.

      The Horned Puffin was not seen.

      Dean Manley
      Mountain View