USTP 7/14

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2006
      Greetings Mendobirders- I was able to get out to the Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant ponds early this morning and beat the heat. The waterfowl
      numbers are dropping off, but some of the odd summering ducks are still
      there: 4 GREATER SCAUP, 2 RING-NECKED DUCKS, 1 BUFFLEHEAD, 2 CINNAMON TEAL,
      and a dozen or so RUDDY DUCKS including a female escorting 2 downy
      young. I could not find the COMMON GOLDENEYE that has been seen out there
      all summer. There were about twenty sandpipers, mostly WESTERN with
      several LEAST mixed in. There was also a LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER and the
      BLACK-NECKED STILT that Cheryl and Geoff reported from last weekend was
      still there. Mixed in with the swallows feeding over the ponds were 2
      VAUX'S SWIFTS and a female PURPLE MARTIN. There were SWAINSON'S THRUSHES,
      YELLOW WARBLERS, and YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS still singing along the
      river. That seems late to me?

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482