Mendocino Coast birds 7 July (Horned Puffin)

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hey birders,

      Oscar Johnson, Brett Tryon, Ayla Reith and I birded
      along the Mendocino Coast yesterday, from Pt Arena
      north to Ten Mile River.

      Highlites include:

      Three GRAY JAYs were at Van Damm State Park, in the
      upper portion of the campground

      One second-summer HORNED PUFFIN at the Murre Colony at
      the Mendocino Headlands. We first saw it sitting on
      the water, just off the northern-most rock at the
      north parking lot. It then picked up off the water,
      flew around for a bit, and then landed again out of
      sight before we could obtain photos. I'd imagine this
      is the same bird that was seen last week further
      north. We couldn't find any Tufted Puffins. A single
      MARBLED MURRELET in alternate plumage flew north.

      30 Western Sandpipers, a dozen Whimbrels, 5 Least
      Sandpipers and 3 Short-billed Dowitchers were at
      Virgin Creek Mouth.

      The summering LONG-TAILED DUCK continues at Ten Mile
      River. It was upstream of the bridge, resting on a
      small exposed mud flat near a very large tree trunk.
      Also present were ~100 Western Sandpipers and 4
      Short-billed Dowitchers just east of the bridge.

      A single BARRED OWL called at 9:15 pm at Montgomery
      Woods State Reserve at the usual spot at the rear of
      the main grove.

      That's it,

      Matt Brady

      http://mail.yahoo.com