Eurasian Collared Doves confirmed

  • mohagan1984
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2006
      I've confirmed the birds I saw on Tollini Lane near the Forks are
      Eurasian Collared Doves. I have seen the doves several more times
      (through binoculars) and they have the dark undertail coverts needed
      for a definite ID. I talked to a man who lives next door to where I
      first saw them, and he says there are at least 3 pairs, they are around
      every morning (making "a lot of noise"), and he thinks they are
      nesting. I have seen them in the late afternoon (6-7 pm) on my way
      home from work and there is usually a couple of birds sitting on the
      tops of telephone poles, if they are not on the ground. I looked them
      up in a couple of W. European field guides, and they are described
      as "confiding", which I take to mean they are more than comfortable
      around humans and their works. Right now it's exciting to see a new
      species locally, but I wonder if they will become ubiquitous like
      English Sparrows? The European books say they started from Eastern
      Europe and are now widespread and common in W. Europe and England.
      Maureen