Re: [Mendobirds] Horned Puffin at MacKerricher

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      Mon, 03 Jul 2006 -- This afternoon Matthew Matthiessen and I refound the
      HORNED PUFFIN at MacKerricher State Park and had it under observation from
      about 4:45-6:30. We parked at Lake Cleone parking lot, walked north on the
      Haul Road about 200 yards, and found the puffin in the water just north of
      the rocks with the Harbor Seals hauled out. When we first saw it, it was
      just inside the outermost breakers. Later it swam closer to shore and
      began diving. We lost it for a half hour, but found it again right in the
      same area where we had been looking. This time it was less than 100 feet
      from shore. Karen Havlena arrived as it was swimming toward the outer
      breakers again, and she was still on the bird when we left. The puffin
      appeared to be an adult in non-breeding plumage. The bill was fairly large
      and dark-colored with a little reddish hue.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      See Steve Abbott's message
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/calbirds/message/5152>