Horned Puffin at MacKerricher

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2006
      Sunday July 2, 2006. At 4:30 this afternoon there was an adult Horned Puffin near the shore at MacKerricher State Park. I saw the bird wtih a spotting scope looking directly north from the upper parking lot. It was across the bay in front of the wash rocks on the other side.

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
        Mon, 03 Jul 2006 -- This afternoon Matthew Matthiessen and I refound the
        HORNED PUFFIN at MacKerricher State Park and had it under observation from
        about 4:45-6:30. We parked at Lake Cleone parking lot, walked north on the
        Haul Road about 200 yards, and found the puffin in the water just north of
        the rocks with the Harbor Seals hauled out. When we first saw it, it was
        just inside the outermost breakers. Later it swam closer to shore and
        began diving. We lost it for a half hour, but found it again right in the
        same area where we had been looking. This time it was less than 100 feet
        from shore. Karen Havlena arrived as it was swimming toward the outer
        breakers again, and she was still on the bird when we left. The puffin
        appeared to be an adult in non-breeding plumage. The bill was fairly large
        and dark-colored with a little reddish hue.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        See Steve Abbott's message
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/calbirds/message/5152>