Long-tailed Duck - Ten Mile

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2006
      Four people (Becky, Angela, Jim and myself) all looked Thursday
      for the LTDU without any luck. But, this morning (6/23)I saw him
      at his usual spot on the sandy, south bank of the river west of the
      bridge. Whew!
      Also, I saw another out-of-season duck at the mouth of the river -
      a non-breeding Red-breasted Merganser. This bird was present
      yesterday, but I could not get a good look from the bridge. It was
      seen by the others yesterday, but no conclusion as to species
      was made. But this morning, I went down towards the river mouth,
      and a non-breeding Red-breasted Merganser swiftly swam by on
      its way to the nearby ocean. I have seen numerous RBME on
      Morro Bay and inner coastal waters, and this bird looks much more
      like a Red-breasted than a juvenile Common Merganser.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg