HREC Say's Phoebe

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2006
      Greetings Mendobirders- This morning I saw a SAY'S PHOEBE near the office
      area at HREC. It never sang, but repeatedly made its plaintive call. This
      bird is way out of range for this time of year; I don't know whether it is
      early or late! I looked quickly at some references I have here in the lab
      and can find no summer records for Mendocino, Sonoma, or Lake Counties, and
      Stan Harris had no summer records for Northwestern California in his second
      edition (1996).

      Chuck

      ***********************************
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...
    • Doug Shaw
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2006
        Hi Chuck & All,

        As far as Sonoma County the latest Spring dates are mid-April. The
        earliest Fall arrival dates were 9/8/57 and 9/10/95. You pose an interesting
        question is the bird 1 1/2 months late or 3 months early ?

        Good Birding,

        Doug Shaw
        Santa Rosa, CA
        Greetings Mendobirders- This morning I saw a SAY'S PHOEBE near the office
        area at HREC. It never sang, but repeatedly made its plaintive call. This
        bird is way out of range for this time of year; I don't know whether it is
        early or late! I looked quickly at some references I have here in the lab
        and can find no summer records for Mendocino, Sonoma, or Lake Counties, and
        Stan Harris had no summer records for Northwestern California in his second
        edition (1996).

        Chuck

        Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
        Ukiah, CA 95482