Northern Waterthrushes at Garcia River

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2001
      Today (Sat 9/15) at 12:45 pm I had two (and possibly three) NORTHERN
      WATERTHRUSHES at the Hwy 1 bridge over the Garcia River. I parked in
      the pullout on the southeast side of the bridge and walked north through
      the gate and down to the south bank of the river. I stopped there below
      the east side of the bridge and began pishing. Almost immediately a
      NOWA appeared out of the brush on the north bank. A couple more pishes
      and a second NOWA joined the first. I watched and photographed for a
      few minutes until they disappeared back into the brush. I then followed
      the south bank west for about 100 meters west of the bridge. At this
      point it became impossible to walk any further west without entering the
      river (there's also a pump on the north bank here making quite a bit of
      noise). One pish from this new location was all it took to turn up
      another NOWA (this one on the south bank). Whether this third NOWA was
      a different bird from the first two I don't know. The sightings were
      seperated by about three minutes and about 100 meters and were on
      opposite sides of the river.

      - Matthew Matthiessen