Tuffed Puffins – Easy!

  • ed3de
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 9:33 AM
      Tuffed Puffins – Easy!

      Yesterday, (Sunday 5-28) I went to Mendocino to find the Tuffed
      Puffins. These two beautiful breading plumage birds did disappoint as
      they swam and dove in the blue water, easily visible from land less
      than 100 yards out. According to the local birder I met, a TUFU pair
      have taken up residence in most past summers. So it quite possible
      that these birds are a pair and may nest, providing reliable viewing
      opportunity for a few months. So I am providing some details for
      birders who may want to drive some distance to see them.

      It took me 2.5 hours to drive up US101 – CA128 – CA1 to Mindocino from
      San Rafael, allow about 3 hours form SF or Oakland.

      Once on Hwy 1, pass the town of Little River and cross Big River
      bridge entering the town of Mendocino. Pass the traffic light and
      continue north on Hwy 1 to Lansing St. Turn left and go take a right
      on Heeser Street, Go past the rest rooms (on the right) to the fist
      parking. (after about a half mile, down Heeser). Take the short trail
      out to the cliff. There is a little cove between the peninsula on the
      east and the first large island on the west (you don't have to walk to
      the end of the trail). The puffins were seen swimming around and
      across that cove Visible with binoculars but great views in a 20
      power scope. At first we spend a lot of time looking too far out, but
      did find a first year Rhinoceros Auklet among the Common Murres.

      The birds were feeding actively up and down together. With their
      clown-like faces, flinging their heads and cream colored tuffs from
      side-to-side, huge orange beaks and bright orange legs and feet, all
      on a jet black puffy bodies, they looked like a costumed bird pair for
      a major Halloween masquerade party. And the best part was no pelagic
      trip cost and nausea or scope-less heaving views.

      Thanks to Karen Havlena for the directions to the exact location and
      Floyd (?) from Clear Lake who first spotted the puffins which was my
      life list view.

      Go for it!

      Good birding,

      Ed DeBellevue