American Bittern - 5/17/06

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18 9:31 AM
      Wed, May 17 - On Wed evening from 18:25-18:45, George Chaniot and I observed the AMERICAN BITTERN at Lake Cleone in MacKerricher State Park. The bittern was midway along the north shore of the lake and out from the reeds so it was fairly easy to observe. On the drive over George was hoping the bird would be easy to find and, sure enough, he located the bird within 30 seconds of parking the car. We lost sight of the bittern when it flew into the reeds at the east end of the lake. I was able to take some identifiable pictures of the bittern making it my 300th species photographed in Mendocino County.

      Good Birding
      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA