Osprey at MCBG

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2006
      Speaking of Ospreys, we took a visitor to MCBG last Saturday and watched
      an Osprey catch a fish in the cove, right in front of the Cliff House.
      Once caught, though, the bird didn't seem to know where to go with it;
      he flew around in circles, apparently trying to gain altitude, but
      having difficulty with the wind and the fish. Eventually he headed over
      the cypress grove next to the Cliff House, where three other Ospreys
      suddenly appeared, all four of them yelping. The one with the fish then
      decided that wasn't such a good idea after all, turning around and
      soaring off to the north side of the cove, where it eventually landed
      somewhere beyond my sight. The other three returned wherever they were
      before.

      Any idea what that was all about? When I heard the yelping as the
      fish-catcher flew overhead, I thought perhaps there was a nest in the
      cypresses. But then why turn around and fly off?

      Tim Bray
      going through suet at a terrific rate, on
      Middle Ridge, Albion