Mendo birds

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2006
      Mendobirders,

      There were 47 breeding plumage Red-necked Phalaropes in the pond on Mendocino Headlands on 5-4-06. There were also two Long-tailed Weasels hunting in broad daylight in the field next to the parking area at the pond. They paid no attention to me except when I squeaked like a mouse which made them come as close as about 15'. That was the best study of these interesting little critters I've ever had.

      On 5-5-06 there was a singing male Hooded Oriole in the town of Westpost. There were numerous Red-necked Phalarope on the Westport Sewage Ponds, but I could not get a good enough view to count them.

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata , CA