Eurasian Collared-Doves

  • Paul Hawks
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8 8:48 AM
      This morning, Monday, at about 7:45, I saw what appeared to be two
      Eurasian Collared-Doves in Ukiah on Yokayo Dr. near Beacon Lane. I
      had a pretty good view of them on a power pole and in flight. The
      pair seemed to be like the doves we have seen in Manchester, and like
      I have seen in Europe. The calls of the two birds seemed to match the
      verbal descriptions in Sibley. If indeed these are Eurasian Collared-
      Doves, I don't know if they are escapes from this area, but they could
      be legitimate residents.

      Paul Hawks
    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
        There was one (and probably a 2nd bird) at the west end of Lakeshore Blvd. in Nice this morning.
        The bird was seen perched in an oak tree from the small pullout area at the gate in front of the abandoned section of the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff road.

        Also (Matt) in the same oak tree was the first Western Kingbird I have seen this year in Lake County.

        A very belated report for Mendocino County; there were about 20 Eurasian Collared-Doves along with one very obvious Ringed-turtle dove at the Thompsons near Manchester on Friday March 2nd.

        Jerry White

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2007
          Monday - 17 December 2007 - I am to the point where I normally do not
          post Eurasian Collared-Doves within the county unless the species is
          found in a new location. This afternoon, however, I had a
          noteworthy observation of eleven birds in a flock at the entrance of
          University Road off of the Old River Road. We have seen small
          numbers (1 to 3) in the area of "Old Hopland" and Hopland in the
          past, but never a concentrated flock of this number in the Sanel
          Valley. I suspect the species nested in the valley this last summer
          ....but I am not sure if these birds are such progeny or are a new
          influx of immigrating birds to the area.

          Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center