May 4-5 2006 Mendo

  • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2006
      Mendobirders,

      There were 47 breeding plumage Red-necked Phalaropes in the pond on
      Mendocino Headlands on 5-4-06. There were also two Long-tailed Weasels
      hunting in broad daylight in the field next to the parking area at the
      pond. They paid no attention to me except when I squeaked like a mouse
      which made them come as close as about 15'. That was the best study of
      these interesting little critters I've ever had.

      Today (5-5-06) there was a singing male Hooded Oriole in the town of
      Westpost. There were numerous Red-necked Phalarope on the Westport Sewage
      Ponds, but I could not get a good enough view to count them.

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata , CA