Adobe Creek Reservoir

  • Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2006
      Thu, 04 May 2006 -- This morning I birded at Adobe Creek Reservoir and some
      other locations in Lake County. TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS were much in evidence
      at the colony in the NW corner of the reservoir. At 08:15 they were already
      commuting in and out, but I counted at least 107 males on territory in the
      cattails. The total number might be around 400 birds. I followed groups of
      trikes as far as 1.5 miles to the north where they were foraging on the
      ground in the vineyards north of Bell Hill Road. There were at least 5 male
      YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS singing in the tules on the east side of the
      reservoir and females coming and going with nesting material.
      In the wetlands at milemarker 5.80 on Scotts Valley Road there was a
      COMMON MOORHEN with a brilliant red shield and bright chartreuse 'socks',
      and it was the first time I remember hearing one calling.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Adobe Creek Road to mile 6 and back: Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Mallard,
      Common Merganser, Wild Turkey, California Quail, Pied-billed Grebe, Turkey
      Vulture, Osprey, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, American Coot,
      Mourning Dove, Belted Kingfisher, Acorn Woodpecker, Nuttall's Woodpecker,
      Northern Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker, Black Phoebe, Western Kingbird,
      Hutton's Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Steller's Jay, Western Scrub-Jay, Common
      Raven, Tree Swallow, Violet-green Swallow, Cliff Swallow, Oak Titmouse,
      Western Bluebird, American Robin, Wrentit, Northern Mockingbird, California
      Thrasher, European Starling, Common Yellowthroat, Spotted Towhee, California
      Towhee, Dark-eyed Junco, Black-headed Grosbeak, Red-winged Blackbird,
      Tricolored Blackbird, Western Meadowlark, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Brewer's
      Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch.

      Additional species along Scotts Valley Road: Common Moorhen, Killdeer,
      Spotted Sandpiper, Yellow-breasted Chat.