American Redstarts on Miner Hole Rd

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2001
      Yesterday morning (Sun the 9th) I had two AMERICAN REDSTARTS (one adult
      and one immature male) along Miner Hole Rd. The birds were within 100
      meters west of the cattle guard. This is just a few feet from where I
      had two redstarts last weekend. However, the immature seen yesterday
      was a different individual from the immature seen last weekend (much
      more orange on yesterdays bird).

      Also on Miner Hole Rd were two celata ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, a
      TOWNSEND'S WARBLER and one pale blue BUDGERIGAR (could this be a first
      county record?). Along the Garcia River at the end of Miner Hole Rd
      were three RUDDY TURNSTONES.

      Hunters Lagoon produced one RED-NECKED PHALAROPE and one LESSER
      YELLOWLEGS among the numerous peeps, dowitchers, and Greater Yellowlegs.
      The mudflats at the west end of the lagoon are very good right now but
      you will need a scope.

      The beach out to the Garcia Rivermouth had four BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS. Of
      note was a flock of 20 probable LONG-BILLED CURLEWS flying east up the
      Garcia River. The birds were quite high and came from behind me and
      unfortunately I didn't get on them till they were past me. I watched
      them in the scope until they disappeared to the east. The bills were
      clearly curlew types and from the color and size they looked good for
      long-billed but I couldn't absolutely rule out Whimbrel.

      - Matthew Matthiessen
    • E. Rae Hudspeth
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2001
        Did anyone see the common greenshank this weekend?
        E Rae Hudspeth, M.D.
        PO Box 78
        The Sea Ranch, CA 95497
        707 785-2969