red-necked phalaropes

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2006
      At 5 p.m. the Red-necked Phalaropes seen by David Jensen were still at
      the vernal pool. I counted 26, all frantically whirling about as they
      fed. I've never seen them in breeding plumage so it was a treat. 5-6
      Canada Geese were also in the pond, and the sight of a tiny little
      phalarope feeding right in the shadow of a huge goose's breast was kind
      of touching. It looked like a row boat next to an ocean liner.

      Also on the edges of the pond were 4-5 sandpipers, and at least some of
      them might have been Semipalmated Sandpipers. I haven't done this I.D.
      before, but I couldn't see any curve to the bills, and the tips looked
      pretty blunt. The head and scapulars had only a hint of brown to rufous
      color. I didn't check the cheeks. Or maybe they were Westerns
      transitioning to breeding plumage?

      Larry Knowles and I kayaked up Noyo River last evening, a bit beyond
      the skunk train bridge, in search of a heron rookery, which we didn't
      find. We saw four osprey nests, at least three of them active (birds
      perching on branches right near the nests). We are not counting the
      beautiful nest growing ferns seen from the mid-way parking lot on the
      road to the put-in.

      Kate