  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
      April 30, 2006- Sunday. There are (at least) 24 Red-necked Phalaropes in the village of Mendocino on the vernal pool just east of Heeser Drive in Mendocino Headlands Park. Nearly all are in breeding plummage. Another RNPH was seen briefly about one half mile inland from the mouth of Big River. Other Big River sightings this morning included one Dunlin, at least three Western Sandpipers, at least four Semipalmated Sandpipers, and several Spotted Sandpipers.

    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 7:57 AM
        At 5 p.m. the Red-necked Phalaropes seen by David Jensen were still at
        the vernal pool. I counted 26, all frantically whirling about as they
        fed. I've never seen them in breeding plumage so it was a treat. 5-6
        Canada Geese were also in the pond, and the sight of a tiny little
        phalarope feeding right in the shadow of a huge goose's breast was kind
        of touching. It looked like a row boat next to an ocean liner.

        Also on the edges of the pond were 4-5 sandpipers, and at least some of
        them might have been Semipalmated Sandpipers. I haven't done this I.D.
        before, but I couldn't see any curve to the bills, and the tips looked
        pretty blunt. The head and scapulars had only a hint of brown to rufous
        color. I didn't check the cheeks. Or maybe they were Westerns
        transitioning to breeding plumage?

        Larry Knowles and I kayaked up Noyo River last evening, a bit beyond
        the skunk train bridge, in search of a heron rookery, which we didn't
        find. We saw four osprey nests, at least three of them active (birds
        perching on branches right near the nests). We are not counting the
        beautiful nest growing ferns seen from the mid-way parking lot on the
        road to the put-in.

        Kate