Black-headed Grosbeak

  • mohagan1984
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2006
      After seeing my first black-headed grosbeak of the season at the
      Hopland Field Station field trip, a male showed up at my black oil
      sunflower seed feeder the next day. He may have been coming for a
      little while, since as one of my bird guides says, they are "furtive"
      feeder visitors. Scared him away by walking into the room which
      overlooks the feeder and had to hide and wait for 2-3 minutes before he
      ventured back again. Good appetite, though! We also have a golden-
      crowned male sparrow in breeding plumage now. My husband noticed him
      in our orchard yesterday and initially didn't recognize it because he's
      so used to winter plumage.
      Maureen O'Hagan
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2006
        We also had a Black-Headed Grosbeak at our window feeder two days ago.

        April 19 there were a number of Caspian Terns migrating north along the
        shoreline at Navarro Headlands.

        Tim
        Middle Ridge, Albion
      • Kate Marianchild
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 28, 2006
          I have five male grosbeaks and several females, the most ever. The
          males don't seem as furtive this year as they have been in the past.
          And they seem more beautiful too!

          On Apr 27, 2006, at 4:43 PM, mohagan1984 wrote:

          > After seeing my first black-headed grosbeak of the season at the
          > Hopland Field Station field trip, a male showed up at my black oil
          > sunflower seed feeder the next day.  He may have been coming for a
          > little while, since as one of my bird guides says, they are "furtive"
          > feeder visitors.  Scared him away by walking into the room which
          > overlooks the feeder and had to hide and wait for 2-3 minutes before
          > he
          > ventured back again.  Good appetite, though!  We also have a golden-
          > crowned male sparrow in breeding plumage now.  My husband noticed him
          > in our orchard yesterday and initially didn't recognize it because
          > he's
          > so used to winter plumage.
          > Maureen O'Hagan

          > email to these addresses:

          > Birding
          > Mendocino county ca
          > Mendocino county
          > Rare birds
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > ▪  Visit your group "Mendobirds" on the web.

          > Service.

        • Jim Armstrong
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 17, 2007
            I have a larger than normal crop of young Black-headed Grosbeaks this
            year. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a begging/feeding
            behavior I've missed before: The youngsters have a distinct shivering
            movement, with their wings in sort of a trailing position. Both mom
            and dad will feed them with just eaten seeds, even with the baby on
            the feeder with them.
            Several sources mention that the young leave the nest after 11 or 12
            days, but can't fly for two more weeks. Do they simply stay near the
            nest or run around on the ground?
          • Barbara E. Dolan
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 24, 2007
              To all; this adult male is still around. At my gazebo like feeder of
              sunflower seeds, 3 different times on 12-22-07. Also, was on my potted
              silk trees perched in the sun with a lot of other yard birds around. I
              was able to see the orange over the eye coming from the back of the
              orange head and neck area that is behind the black head. He has a lemon
              yellow lower abdomen patch distinct from the orange upper chest. The
              white patches in the wing coverts look well developed. Will report if
              continues to be seen as the storms pass through. Barbara, ukiah.

              WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

            • Barbara E. Dolan
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
                To all; The bird was feeding this morning 12-26-07at 9:00AM. He stayed
                3 minutes and fed continuously. He has an interesting feature
                bilaterally at his "chin sides". On either side of his lower mandible
                he has a small tuft of white. Barbara, Ukiah.

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                  At the feeder this 8:30AM. Storm is coming so will see if it continues
                  to hang around.Barbara , Ukiah.

                  WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

                • Becky Stenberg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                    I'm new to the group too, been lurking for about 3 months, ever since
                    my own sighting of a Black-headed Grosbeak at my seed feeder prompted
                    me to see if it was an unusual sighting. I live in Glen Blair,
                    which is about 7 miles up Pudding Creek.
                    Recently I've been bike riding up Little Valley from the Pudding Creek
                    end. Yesterday I saw 3 White-tailed Kites, the most I've ever seen
                    together, around the middle of the valley. Also 4 Ring-necked Ducks
                    on the smaller pond (1 drake and 3 ladies). They flushed toward the
                    big pond, there are probably more there, but I haven't ventured to
                    ride that far yet.

                    Becky Stenberg
                    Glen Blair
                  • Barbara E. Dolan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                      Pre-storm Update;

                      The Grosbeak was seem at my feeder on 1-01-08 at 10:20am. It stayed 4
                      minutes and ate about 44 sunflower seeds, removing the husks easily.
                      The next visit seen was 1-05-08. It came at 2:52PM. It stayed 2
                      minutes, only to be flushed by a WSJA.Barbara , Ukiah.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 21, 2008
                        The Black-headed Grosbeak that has been coming to my yard since 12/09/07
                        was seen again on 4/19(6:10PM) and 4/21/086:50AM. A triangle of skin is
                        observeable on the right neck of the bird from the throat to the
                        shoulder right of midline. The nape of the neck is also thin of
                        feathering. The feathers and retrices in some areas look like
                        cellophane brown . It appears to be eating well and attentive to
                        surroundings. Barbara, Ukiah.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 15, 2008
                          To all; on 12-14-08, 2:30PM my feeder was visited by a Black-headed
                          Grosbeak. We are hoping it stays and / or is visible so it could be
                          included in our CBC. I will keep the black sunflower seeds flowing. bd

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                            This bird arrived at 7:55 A.M. 1-3-09.

                            I had not seen it since 12-28-08 at 1:30PM. Its arrival times have been between 7-8:50 AM and 1:30PM and 3:30PM. It appears to be missing feathering on its collar at the nape, but otherwise looks and behaves okay.

                            It has been flying off toward Perkins each time it is flushed.

                            It ate only 11 seeds and then got flushed off by noisy WSJA .

                            I have had an influx of House Finches of all colors-yellowish, oranges and reds on the males. Only a few females. One reddish male today surprised me with a bill that was very long and curved downgoing. I would guess the length 1 and ¼" to 1 and ½ ". Does anyone know about this abnormality? It was feeding fine. Barbara

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 28, 2009
                              To all; the BHGB was seen the 8:00AM in my yard. This is the first
                              sighting/and visit since 1-9-09. I figure it has been feasting on the
                              berries around. It only stayed seconds on the feeder nearest the house.
                              It looked less ragged and the orange very bright. I was unable to see
                              if feathers had returned to its nape and collar . It had a previous loss
                              of feathers in the area.

                              I also have a returning and/ or another WHITE-THROATED SPARROW-TAN
                              STRIPE MORPH and was surprised to see again. The RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH
                              was seen coming down the tree on 1-24-09. It used to come to the suet
                              but it appears it its feeding more outside the yard. Barbara

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 5 5:30 PM
                                5 May 2009 (Tuesday) - this morning we briefly had a male Black-Headed
                                Grosbeak in the front yard.

                                Tim Bray
                                Middle Ridge, Albion
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 5 7:40 PM
                                  Sun-Tue, 3-5 May 2009 -- We have had an adult male BHGB coming to feed
                                  both at our yard and the south yard (with feeders) in Ocean Meadows Circle,
                                  1/2 mi north of Ten Mile River for three days.

                                  Also, the WHT-THROATED SPARROW  is still coming to the seed as of today,
                                  5 May.

                                  Alas, I have NOT seen any of the TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS for at least
                                  one + week.  As I recall, the TRBL's left briefly from the pond across Hwy 1 last
                                  year, so hopefully they will return shortly to our area.

                                  Karen Havlena
                                  Ten Mile Area
                                  North of Fort Bragg, CA

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 7, 2013
                                    Sun, 7 April 2013 -- This morning Jim called me to the kitchen to see a male
                                    Black-headed Grosbeak feeding where I just put out seed.  I think this is only
                                    the fourth one for Ocean Meadows and the first time one has been in our yard.
                                    They don't stick around here on the bare, coastal bench for long.

                                    Jim and Karen Havlena
                                    North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca