Purple Martins at Juan Creek

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2006
      Hi birders -- About 8+ Purple Martins have returned to the bridge
      at the mouth of Juan Creek, between Westport and where Hwy 1
      turns inland toward Rockport. I was there this morning about
      9 AM.

      On Tuesday, 18 April, I went there to look for the martins, and
      all I came up with was the Red-necked Grebe I wrote about on
      Mendobirds. There was not a single Cliff Swallow nor martin at
      the Juan Creek bridge either Tuesday or Wednesday the 19th,
      even though there were Cliff Swallows at Howard Creek bridge
      on Wednesday, just a short distance to the south.

      I was not able to go up there Thursday or yesterday, but the
      Purple Martins must have returned either then or last night.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Ten Mile R.