Kelsey Creek Outlet - LTJA, SESA, Lake County 9/7

  • DOUGLAS SHAW
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2001
      Hi All,
      I headed directly to Kelsey Creek today after work without looking at my email. I had a very brief look at the juvenile LONG-TAILED JAEGER at about 7:30 PM while scoping the lake to the west. My attention was brought to the bird since a large number of shorebirds and blackbirds suddenly took flight all at once. I was expecting a Peregrine, not a jaeger, surprise, surprise. I also had a juvenile SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER that was squabbling with a WESA. I saw this bird in the scope and with binoculars from about 50 feet away. The back on this bird was rather plain brown and scaly. There was a strong head pattern consisting of a dark cap and a distinctive dark brown cheek. There was a single patch of light brown buff on the sides of the breast with clean white down the center of the breast. The peep numbers are as follows: 5 PECTORAL, 3 LEAST, and 35+ WESTERN.
      I only heard the LEAST BITTERN calling three times between 6PM-7PM. The blackbirds started moving heavily into the tules around 7:00 and the bittern became silent. A SORA came out around that time for a walk on a log. I had 6 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS that were moving back and forth from the upper drier mudflat and the shore edge. There were also 7 YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS on the muddy shore. All and all, a very productive 1 3/4 hours.

      Doug Shaw Santa Rosa, CA