Say's Phoebes?

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
      Monday, 4/17/2006 - This morning we had a pair of flycatchers perching
      on the power lines crossing the open meadow near the end of Middle
      Ridge, Albion. They were newcomers, and from size and habits I thought
      they might be Kingbirds; but they were a little small, and when I
      (briefly) got the scope on them, there was no sign of yellow underneath
      - instead, a dull rufous colour. They were very active, constantly
      flying down to the ground and then back up to the wires, so it was
      difficult to get a good look; and they were too far for the binoculars.
      Soon they wandered off to the north, and I did not see them again.
      Pretty sure they were Say's Phoebes. Does that sound right?

      Also today was the first day this year that I have heard the
      Red-shouldered Hawk yelping high overhead, and an Acorn Woodpecker came
      to the suet feeder - the first one I have ever seen on this property (no
      oaks here!) - elbowing his way through a cloud of Stellar's and Scrub
      Jays.

      Hurray for Spring at last!

      Tim Bray
      Middle Ridge, Albion
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18, 2006
        This is embarrassing: Those weren't Say's Phoebes after all, but
        Western Bluebirds. They showed up again today, but this time I was
        ready and not only got the scope on them, I got the camera on the
        scope. The photos clearly show the distinctive pattern of chestnut on
        the breast and sides, and also reveal the blue back that I couldn't make
        out by eye (although it's pretty subtle). Apparently the backlighting
        fooled my eye, and the one bird I got a glimpse of in the scope
        yesterday was the female... when I saw the male today, with his bright
        chestnut breast, it was a smack-to-the-forehead moment. D'oh!

        I'll just go sit in the corner for a while now.
        Homer
      • richhubie
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
          Sunday 2 November 2008. I had 3 White-throated Sparrows today (late
          morning)at the Little River Airport. They were in a mixed sparrow flock
          of mainly Golden-crowned Sparrows. There were 2 white-striped and 1 tan-
          striped. The most I've ever seen at once has been one.

          Richard Hubacek
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
            Mon, 03 Nov 2008 -- I also had three WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at my feeders
            here in Potter Valley today. This is an unusual concentration here. One was
            white-striped and two were tan-striped.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA

            > From: "richhubie" <richhubie@...>
            > Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 02:40:54 -0000
            > To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [Mendobirds] White-throated Sparrows
            >
            > Sunday 2 November 2008. I had 3 White-throated Sparrows today (late
            > morning)at the Little River Airport. They were in a mixed sparrow flock
            > of mainly Golden-crowned Sparrows. There were 2 white-striped and 1 tan-
            > striped. The most I've ever seen at once has been one.
            >
            > Richard Hubacek
          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
              Mon, 28 Feb 2011 -- Today I confirmed what I have been suspecting for some
              time : there are at least _four_ White-throated Sparrows coming to my
              feeders here in Potter Valley. Today I had three tan-stripes in view at
              once, and I got to compare fine points of their plumage. There is also a
              white-stripe, and I suspect that there may be more than one of them.
              I used to think of White-throated Sparrows as being irregular and rare
              here; now I think of them as regular and fairly common.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • Richard
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                Tue Apr 5, 2011---Back on November 23, 2010, I posted that I had at least 4 WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at my feeders here in Little River. Today there are still at least 2 present. I have been able to look over the birds at my feeders and find anywhere from 4 to 2 White-throated Sparrows present during that period of time. In the past they have shown-up for no more then a week and then leave. Will be listening for their song.

                Richard Hubacek
                Little River