White-throated Sparrows

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
      17 April 2006 - Monday - This morning I went out to feed my chickens which
      have a large pen to roam and in this fenced area I have a large brush pile
      for birds. I always spread some scratch feed near the brush pile for the
      birds. In the fall I had one White-throated Sparrow for a few day but no
      evidence of throughout the winter. This morning I noticed many
      Golden-crowned Sparrows immediately going after the feed so I decided to
      stand quietly and watch. Within a minute or so one White-throated Sparrow
      arrived (white-striped variety), then another of the same arrived, and then
      a third duller-colored bird which I believe to be a tan-striped variety
      arrived. The one White-throated, though smaller in size than the
      Golden-crowns, is definitely dominant and did not hesitate to run a G-c
      away. My guess is that these birds are in northward migration and are
      maybe waiting out the stormy period. Also, if you take Golden-crowned
      Sparrow for granted because they are common and here all winter long
      ---look closely at them now as their head stripe and colors are
      vivid. Anyway, keep an eye on your feeders. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • David Jensen
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
        17 April 2006 - Monday
        Bob's note about the White-throated sparrow prompted me to share the
        following observations. I have hosted a White-Crowned Sparrow all winter
        here in Fort Bragg(there were 3 for a time in December, but 2 stayed only
        briefly). It is still with me, but I expect it to leave with the
        Golden-crowns any day now. I still have one Fox Sparrow, down from a max of
        about 7.
        One final observation: if I could be any bird, it most definitely would NOT
        be a Pine Siskin. I have had many visit my feeders over the winter, and they
        seem to make a hobby out of dying. They regularly hit the windows, turn up
        dead in the alley, and tonight there is one on the patio who will likely not
        see tomorrow. Thank goodness there are so many of them!

        > 17 April 2006 - Monday - This morning I went out to feed my chickens which
        > have a large pen to roam and in this fenced area I have a large brush pile
        > for birds. I always spread some scratch feed near the brush pile for the
        > birds. In the fall I had one White-throated Sparrow for a few day but no
        > evidence of throughout the winter. This morning I noticed many
        > Golden-crowned Sparrows immediately going after the feed so I decided to
        > stand quietly and watch. Within a minute or so one White-throated
        > Sparrow
        > arrived (white-striped variety), then another of the same arrived, and
        > then
        > a third duller-colored bird which I believe to be a tan-striped variety
        > arrived. The one White-throated, though smaller in size than the
        > Golden-crowns, is definitely dominant and did not hesitate to run a G-c
        > away. My guess is that these birds are in northward migration and are
        > maybe waiting out the stormy period. Also, if you take Golden-crowned
        > Sparrow for granted because they are common and here all winter long
        > ---look closely at them now as their head stripe and colors are
        > vivid. Anyway, keep an eye on your feeders. Good birding. Bob Keiffer
        >
        > Robert J. Keiffer
        > Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        > UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        > 4070 University Road
        > Hopland, CA 95449
        > (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
        > HREC website: http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html
        >
        > "It is not the critic who counts... not the one who points out how the
        > strong person stumbles... or where the doer of deeds could have done
        > better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena."
        > Theodore Roosevelt

        > these addresses:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
          Monday, 4/17/2006 - This morning we had a pair of flycatchers perching
          on the power lines crossing the open meadow near the end of Middle
          Ridge, Albion. They were newcomers, and from size and habits I thought
          they might be Kingbirds; but they were a little small, and when I
          (briefly) got the scope on them, there was no sign of yellow underneath
          - instead, a dull rufous colour. They were very active, constantly
          flying down to the ground and then back up to the wires, so it was
          difficult to get a good look; and they were too far for the binoculars.
          Soon they wandered off to the north, and I did not see them again.
          Pretty sure they were Say's Phoebes. Does that sound right?

          Also today was the first day this year that I have heard the
          Red-shouldered Hawk yelping high overhead, and an Acorn Woodpecker came
          to the suet feeder - the first one I have ever seen on this property (no
          oaks here!) - elbowing his way through a cloud of Stellar's and Scrub
          Jays.

          Hurray for Spring at last!

          Tim Bray
          Middle Ridge, Albion
        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 18, 2006
            This is embarrassing: Those weren't Say's Phoebes after all, but
            Western Bluebirds. They showed up again today, but this time I was
            ready and not only got the scope on them, I got the camera on the
            scope. The photos clearly show the distinctive pattern of chestnut on
            the breast and sides, and also reveal the blue back that I couldn't make
            out by eye (although it's pretty subtle). Apparently the backlighting
            fooled my eye, and the one bird I got a glimpse of in the scope
            yesterday was the female... when I saw the male today, with his bright
            chestnut breast, it was a smack-to-the-forehead moment. D'oh!

            I'll just go sit in the corner for a while now.
            Homer
          • richhubie
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2 6:40 PM
              Sunday 2 November 2008. I had 3 White-throated Sparrows today (late
              morning)at the Little River Airport. They were in a mixed sparrow flock
              of mainly Golden-crowned Sparrows. There were 2 white-striped and 1 tan-
              striped. The most I've ever seen at once has been one.

              Richard Hubacek
            • George Chaniot
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5 3:13 PM
                Mon, 03 Nov 2008 -- I also had three WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at my feeders
                here in Potter Valley today. This is an unusual concentration here. One was
                white-striped and two were tan-striped.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                > From: "richhubie" <richhubie@...>
                > Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 02:40:54 -0000
                > To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [Mendobirds] White-throated Sparrows
                >
                > Sunday 2 November 2008. I had 3 White-throated Sparrows today (late
                > morning)at the Little River Airport. They were in a mixed sparrow flock
                > of mainly Golden-crowned Sparrows. There were 2 white-striped and 1 tan-
                > striped. The most I've ever seen at once has been one.
                >
                > Richard Hubacek
              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
                  Mon, 28 Feb 2011 -- Today I confirmed what I have been suspecting for some
                  time : there are at least _four_ White-throated Sparrows coming to my
                  feeders here in Potter Valley. Today I had three tan-stripes in view at
                  once, and I got to compare fine points of their plumage. There is also a
                  white-stripe, and I suspect that there may be more than one of them.
                  I used to think of White-throated Sparrows as being irregular and rare
                  here; now I think of them as regular and fairly common.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                • Richard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Tue Apr 5, 2011---Back on November 23, 2010, I posted that I had at least 4 WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at my feeders here in Little River. Today there are still at least 2 present. I have been able to look over the birds at my feeders and find anywhere from 4 to 2 White-throated Sparrows present during that period of time. In the past they have shown-up for no more then a week and then leave. Will be listening for their song.

                    Richard Hubacek
                    Little River