Western Tanager Loves Suet

  • rosierhia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2006
      The past two days I have had a lovely male Western Tanager coming to my suet
      feeder--a squirrel-proof one. I make my own suet with lots of peanut butter,
      oatmeal and sunflower chips. At first he had difficulty deciding how to
      reach the suet--finally got brave enough to squeeze through the wire squares that
      keep out the squirrels. In fact yesterday when it was raining hard he moved
      in under the suet (I also have a plastic globe that keeps out the rain) and
      just sat there for several minutes. He eats with dainty bites, different than
      the Red-Breasted Nuthatches, Purple Finches and Goldfinches--they just grab a
      big bill full and go.

      The new feeder has frustrated the first-of-the-season Black-headed Grosbeak,
      though, evidently he cannot quite squeeze through the squares and has to
      reach in--barely getting to the suet.

      Such birdwatching fun.

      Rosie Mattingly
      27860 Poppy Drive