Round Mountain

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2006
      It's been such a quiet spring until now.

      I saw two Townsend's Warblers on Friday afternoon and another one
      today. The one today distracted me from a pair of Flickers who were
      behaving most interestingly - a stop and start chase followed by both
      birds sitting on a bridge railing about 12 feet apart, both with tails
      spread, not facing each other. The female looked about a third again as
      big as the male - I guess she was all fluffed up - and she bobbed and
      swung her head repeatedly. I was hoping to see a mating, but then the
      Townsend's Warbler distracted me and when I looked back the Flickers
      were gone. The Birders Handbook says that large Flicker clutches
      usually represent the eggs of two females. There can be up to 12 eggs,
      but 5-8 is normal. Not sure if 5-8 represents one female or two.

      If anyone finds a Ruby-crowned Kinglet nest I'd love to be told about
      it. Birder's Handbook says they're in conifers at 15-30 feet.

      I'm actually interested in nests in general....

      Kate