Purple Martins/Lake County

  • Dave Woodward
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2006
      Thurs. 4/6/06 After checks along Red Hills Rd. in Lake County, CA
      every 2-3 days from mid March until April and checks on 5 of 6 dates
      in April, I finally observed Purple Martins for the first time in
      2006. There were a minimum of four adult males along the length of the
      road. Three were observed together in flight near the Beckstoffer
      vinyard sign. A fourth adult male was seen about 250 yds W of the
      intersection with Siegler Springs Rd. North, near the top of the
      slope. No females were observed today. First observation of martins
      along Red Hills Rd. occurred between between March 16 and 22 in 2003,
      2004 and 2005. There is some sun today, but many more days with rain
      forecast over the next 10 days so I hope they can find a meal.
      Dave Woodward
      Lakeport, CA