Ukiah Caspian Tern

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
      Greetings Mendobirders- Late this afternoon while sitting in the sun in my
      back yard trying to make some Vitamin D, I had a solitary CASPIAN TERN
      soaring overhead. I assume that it came off of Lake Mendocino. I see them
      regularly during the fall, but this is the first I have ever seen in the
      spring. I looked at Jerry White's "Birds of Lake County Seasonal
      Checklist" and note that he reports them as "Rare" in the spring. I
      ascribe it to this bird's response, which is much like mine, to the most
      unpleasant, gloomy weather we have been experiencing. It did not know
      where it was or when it was. I had a couple of other migrating birds in
      the yard as well: single RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and TOWNSEND WARBLER males.

      Go Giants, Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...