Band-tailed Pigeons

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2006
      Tuesday - 28 March 2006 - This is not really a report of a specific
      sighting. I would just like to point out that I have received several
      calls from the Ukiah and Hopland area, within the last couple of weeks, of
      Band-tailed Pigeon flocks being seen at valley floor locations where folks
      usually don't see them. I have reports of 100+ birds coming to feeders in
      the Oak Knoll area of Ukiah. Other folks have reported them coming to
      backyard feeders in Ukiah. I recently saw two flocks in the Oak Manor area
      ...one flock feeding on a backyard tree that has Boston Ivy (berries) all
      over it. I have seen them in California Valley Oaks, probably feeding on
      buds, on the valley floor of Hopland. Within the last couple of days I
      have had them coming to my backyard chicken-yard at Hopland. Anyway, for
      some reason inland Mendocino County has been inundated by these birds, and
      I don't know if it is related to weather, food, or what!

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • paulandbettyhawks@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
        The Band-tailed Pigeons are still plentiful in the Ukiah area in residential areas. I have been seeing flocks of approx 25 in the area of Laurel and Beacon, and I received a report from Sherry Drive this morning that a hawk had killed several Band-tails and eaten them in the same back yard yesterday and today. From the reported description, it sounded like a Cooper's Hawk.

        Paul Hawks

      • paulandbettyhawks@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2006
          The Band-tailed Pigeons are still plentiful in the Ukiah area in residential areas. I have been seeing flocks of approx 25 in the area of Laurel and Beacon, and I received a report from Sherry Drive this morning that a hawk had killed several Band-tails and eaten them in the same back yard yesterday and today. From the reported description, it sounded like a Cooper's Hawk.

          Paul Hawks

        • Barbara E. Dolan
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2006
            Likewise on Standley I have a flock that has additional numbers every
            day since 4-6-06 , first 5, then 11 and today 25. They are roosting
            about 70 feet up in the Oaks. About 2 dozen were in the open lot and I
            flushed all of them. They must have been feeding.bd

            The Band-tailed Pigeons are still plentiful in the Ukiah area in
            residential areas. I have been seeing flocks of approx 25 in the area
            of Laurel and Beacon, and I received a report from Sherry Drive this
            morning that a hawk had killed several Band-tails and eaten them in the
            same back yard yesterday and today. From the reported description, it
            sounded like a Cooper's Hawk.

            Paul Hawks

            Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
            to these addresses:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.