Peregrine feeding in Ukiah Westside

  • Roger W. Foote
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2006
      Saturday, March 18, 2006, 11:15 a.m. - - PEREGRINE FALCON observed
      consuming a BAND-TAILED PIGEON in the oak at the SW corner of W Smith
      and Hortense Streets in Ukiah's Westside. I first saw the bird fly
      from the SE. It appeared to be of the anatum race and, as judged from
      its large size, a female.

      Several of us spent an hour watching from under the oak. The falcon
      took note of automobile, roof construction and human noises, but
      continued with its meal until its crop was bulging and all that was
      left of the pigeon were a couple of bloody bones and a wing dangling
      from its perch on the horizontal limb.

      Roger Foote
      Ukiah MEN, CA

    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2006
        At Point Arena today, my family and I enjoyed watching
        "Al" the LAYSAN ALBATROSS from 12:00-1:00 pm. Al
        repeatedly drifted within 20 feet or so of the
        shoreline and then would paddle back out a short
        distance. Once he flew out a short distance and landed
        in front of an incoming surfer who casually reached
        out and touched Al. So amazing!

        Yesterday at about 10:45 am I saw a PEREGRINE FALCON
        fly over the highest point of the Boonville Road
        between Boonville and Ukiah.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County