Tricolored Blackbirds in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2006
      Fri, 17 Mar 2006 -- This morning there was a flock of 40 TRICOLORED
      BLACKBIRDS foraging on the ground in the Bald Eagle Vineyard on Burris Lane
      in Potter Valley. It appeared to be a single-species flock, 7 males, 33
      females. This is about the time of year when they have appeared the last
      two years when they nested at a pond about 1/2 mile away.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • gchaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2014
        Wed, 2 Apr 2014 -  Today I found a group of TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS on West(side) Road in Potter Valley about 0.5 mile S. of Main Street.  They were in a blackberry hedge along an irrigation ditch between vineyards and hay-fields.  At least 10 males were chorusing from deep within the blackberries, and maybe 30 females were coming and going.  No nest building was observed but settlement looks likely here.
        George Chaniot
        Potter Vally, MEN, CA