Short-eared Owl in Lake Co.

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 -- This evening I saw a SHORT-EARED OWL in Lake County
      along Reclamation Road at 6:30-6:33 PM. Dave Woodward had flushed one
      earlier in the day while working on private property nearby. I arrived at
      5:00 PM and cruised the roads as it grew darker. At sunset I pulled to the
      side of Reclamation Road about 100 y before the gates and stop sign at the
      south end, got out, and watched the fields. The owl appeared flying low
      over the nearest field. It was close enough to rule out Barn Owl through
      binoculars. I followed it until I lost track of it in the dark in the
      vicinity of the blue tractor. It was drizzling lightly at the time. In the
      chronology of the evening, this was just after the night herons quit going
      over, and just when the snipe started calling. It had just become too dark
      to read my watch without a light.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA