Winter Period bird report

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006
      Mendocino Birders, This is a reminder that the Winter Period
      (Dec,Jan,Feb) for reporting bird observations to North American Birds ends
      soon. Please submit any notable bird observations/details to me before
      March 10th. If posted your observation on Mendobirds earlier then I
      already have it in my files. Feel free to send me lists, spreadsheets,
      etc. of your own Mendocino County observations during this period.

      I edit all of the Mendocino county observations and compile a list in
      approved format to submit to the Middle Pacific Region editors.... they in
      turn edit and compile the report for the North American Birds publication.

      Has anyone observed the Laysan Albatross at Point Arena Cove during late
      February of this year? Can someone check today or tomorrow?

      Is the Sandhill Crane still in Little Lake Valley?

      You can email observations or reports to me ....or send to Bob
      Keiffer 4070 University Road Hopland CA 95449

      Many Thanks.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
        2 March 2009 - The winter report period for bird observations has
        come to a close.

        The winter report period is a "normal-length" seasonal period -
        comprised of the months of Dec,Jan, and Feb. It is always an
        interesting period because of the winter resident species that show
        up ...especially along the coast. I will soon be summarizing the
        significant Mendocino County bird
        observations for these months and then submitting them to the
        Northern California sub-regional editors for North American Birds.
        If you wish to submit any previously UNREPORTED sightings, or submit
        personal summaries, then send them directly to rjkeiffer@...
        or mail them to the address near my signature, before March 10th.

        If the sighting was already posted on Mendobirds then I have it
        already, but I gladly accept summaries or specific details from
        observers. If you saw a rare or unusual bird that was discovered by
        someone else, then please note who the original "finder" was (ie:
        Dave Shuford 12/31/08 for the Grace's Warbler).

        Again, a kindly reminder for those posting messages on Mendobirds
        ....if you begin the message with the full date (like 1 December
        2008) and end the message your full name and maybe contact info
        (phone and/or email) ....then it makes it MUCH easier for me to
        conserve on ink, printed space and time when I print them for the
        hard-copy files. (that way I can "select" and "print" without
        printing all of the associated meaningless garbage).

        Thanks. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center