Magpies in High Valley, Lake Co.

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2006
      Sat, 25 Feb 2006 -- Today Chuck Vaughn and I found two YELLOW-BILLED
      MAGPIES in the Valley Oaks and vineyards at the east end of High Valley. It
      has been several years since I have seen them there myself, and I have
      heard concern voiced that this population may have disappeared. The most
      recent record I have found in the Mendobirds archives is from 28 Mar 2005.
      Some other birds of interest which we found in Lake County:
      LONG-EARED OWL calling NE of the parking lot at Glen Eden Trailhead,
      05:44-05:50, also 23 Feb 05:48-05:52.
      EURASIAN WIGEON, 2 males in flooded fields E of Rodman Slough.
      TUFTED DUCK, 1 adult male at Borax Lake
      BARROW'S GOLDENEYES, 2 females in Clearlake Oaks, mm 26.86 on Route 20
      PHAINOPEPLA, 1 male at 12551 Lakeshore Drive in Clearlake.
      We did not find the Kumlien's-like Gull anywhere along Lakeshore Drive in
      the interval 09:50-10:30

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA