Aleution Goose at Ten Mile

  • Erica Fielder
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2006
      Dear Birders,

      I spotted a small goose in a flock of 27 "Canada" geese just east of
      the Ten Mile bridge in the mudflat area on the north side of the
      estuary. It has a blue collar with the number 41J. I looked up this
      collar color on http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/ and found this statement:

      3 DIGIT COLLARS
      Collars with 3 digits include yellow and orange collars from the Arctic
      Goose Joint Venture. Gray, Blue, and Green have all been used on the
      threatened Aleutian Canada Goose, which breed in the Aleutian Islands
      and migrate along the west coast as far south as California.

      If you want to see this goose and check out the other birds of this
      flock, look for high tide and go to the north end of the Ten Mile
      Bridge on Highway One, eight miles north of Fort Bragg, in the early
      morning.

      Happy birding,

      Erica Fielder

      For more information on Erica Fielder Studio,
      please see my two websites:
      www.ericafielder-ecoartist.com
      www.birdfeederhat.org

      Erica Fielder Studio