Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Feb 19, 2006
      The presumed KUMLIEN'S ICELAND GULL at Pirate's Cove,
      Clearlake Park, was surprisingly cooperative this
      morning. I saw it briefly from 8:05-8:10 and
      09:28-09:29, and then watched it leisurely in terrific
      light from 10:05-11:38, viewed on the water, in flight
      and resting (three different docks). Jerry White
      joined me during the last half hour or so and we were
      both pleased with how closely the plumage matches that
      of a Kumlien's Gull (which doesn't mean it will be
      automatically accepted by the CBRC). I have uploaded
      further photos including closeups of the rather white
      wingtip and relatively pale secondaries of the
      outstreched wing at:

      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/mysterygull3

      In the cove to the north I saw two male RED-BREASTED
      MERGANSERS among the hordes of diving birds. I didn't
      see any females, but in my photos a female is clearly
      swimming beside one of the males! Unfortunately
      they're a challenge to see.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • stevestump