Re: [Mendobirds] Long-eared Owl/Lake County

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2006
      Thu, 16 Feb 2006 -- This morning I went back owling to the Glen Eden
      Trailhead and was there from 06:00-06:47. It was much colder and quieter
      than my previous visits. At 06:13 a LONG-EARED OWL flew into the top of
      the exact same tree where I saw it on the 13th. I had the impression that
      it came from the walnut orchard on the east side of the road. It sat there
      without hooting for three minutes while I halved the distance and got good
      binocular views. Then, as a car passed, it flew off into the dense trees to
      the west. A few minutes later a Great Horned Owl flew into the large oaks
      by the picnic tables. Then it flew off to the west in much the same
      direction as the Long-eared. and pair began hooting in this same area.
      This close proximity to Great Horned has to be dangerous, and I did not try
      to provoke any owls into calling. Two N. Pygmy-Owls and three Great Horned
      Owls were calling spontaneously until 06:35.
      Since this owl is a repeater, I would point out that the tree in
      question is a leafless oak on the west side of the road 75 paces north of
      the parking lot entrance and next to milemarker 8.09. Viewed from the
      parking lot, the tree breaks above the skyline. If you go further north
      near the house on the west side of the road, the barking dogs are
      counterproductive.
      After sunrise I found four COMMON MOORHENS in the small wetland
      along Eickhoff Road. How can this species be so rare in Mendocino County
      only a few miles away?

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA