Long-eared Owl/Lake County

  • Dave Woodward
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15 8:07 AM
      Monday Feb. 13 at sundown, Brian Woodward and I went to the Glen Eden
      trail parking lot on Scotts Valley Rd. in western Lake County to look
      for the Long-eared Owl found by George Chaniot before sunrise on the
      same date. About a half hour after our arrival two Great Horned Owls
      flew into one of the huge oaks at the NW corner of the parking lot and
      called for some 10 minutes before flying back into dense forest where
      we continued to hear them during most of the rest of our stay. A
      Western Screech Owl was also calling in the distance to the west. At
      about 6:40 we moved to a location about 225 yds to the north of the
      parking lot, about 75 yds past the house on the west side of the road.
      There we heard the Long-eared Owl call numerous times over the next 15
      minutes. We heard nothing more from the owl over the next half hour
      before we left. I returned to the location on Tues. Feb. 14 at 6:05am
      hoping to see the owl as George had the previous morning, but I did
      not see or hear the owl during the next 40 minutes. There were Great
      Horned Owls, a N. Pygmy-owl and a W. Screech Owl calling repeatedly
      during that interval. Dave Woodward
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16 11:19 AM
        Thu, 16 Feb 2006 -- This morning I went back owling to the Glen Eden
        Trailhead and was there from 06:00-06:47. It was much colder and quieter
        than my previous visits. At 06:13 a LONG-EARED OWL flew into the top of
        the exact same tree where I saw it on the 13th. I had the impression that
        it came from the walnut orchard on the east side of the road. It sat there
        without hooting for three minutes while I halved the distance and got good
        binocular views. Then, as a car passed, it flew off into the dense trees to
        the west. A few minutes later a Great Horned Owl flew into the large oaks
        by the picnic tables. Then it flew off to the west in much the same
        direction as the Long-eared. and pair began hooting in this same area.
        This close proximity to Great Horned has to be dangerous, and I did not try
        to provoke any owls into calling. Two N. Pygmy-Owls and three Great Horned
        Owls were calling spontaneously until 06:35.
        Since this owl is a repeater, I would point out that the tree in
        question is a leafless oak on the west side of the road 75 paces north of
        the parking lot entrance and next to milemarker 8.09. Viewed from the
        parking lot, the tree breaks above the skyline. If you go further north
        near the house on the west side of the road, the barking dogs are
        counterproductive.
        After sunrise I found four COMMON MOORHENS in the small wetland
        along Eickhoff Road. How can this species be so rare in Mendocino County
        only a few miles away?

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA