Re: [Mendobirds] shorebird concentrations?

  • Maria Wetzel
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2006
      Hi Jeff,

      From the SF Bay Bird Observatory I recently got their Bay Trail
      guide. There is a good spot at Colma Creek Public Shore just north of
      the airport. This is what it says:
      "This unassuming creek and marsh habitat north of SFO has surprising
      birding potential. The growing number of Clapper Rail and wintering
      shorebirds, along with an impressive group of vagrants has given this
      location the aura of a birding hotspot.

      Directions: On the east side of HWY 101, north of the airport, take
      North Airport Blvd. to Belle Air Road and turn east, toward the Bay.
      At the end of the road is a parking area between the Water Quality
      Control Plant and Costco.

      There are 2 more places on their map that are south of the airport -
      Coyote Point Park and Foster City/San Mateo Bridge.

      To get the trail guide, go to http://www.sfbbo.org/. In the right
      hand column, you can find a link to order a trail guide.

      Maria (new member, near Glass Beach)

      At 5:39 AM +0000 2/14/06, Jeff Price wrote:
      I'm picking a friend up at SF airport and they'd like to see large
      numbers of shorebirds. Are any specific sites in the Mendo area good
      right now or should I focus more on the South Bay?

      --
      mailto:mwetzel@...