Lake Co. Long-eared Owl

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2006
      Mon, 13 Feb 2006 -- This morning I had a first-class encounter with a
      LONG-EARED OWL at the Glen Eden Trailhead on Scotts Valley Road in western
      Lake County. The owl was sitting in the top of an oak about 50 yards away
      silhouetted against the moonlit sky. It hooted about ten times. At this
      range I could hear a hoarse quality that I have never noticed before and a
      slight, husky release note at the end, "hoooooo-uh". Then it flew off to
      the north about 200 yards and began calling again. There I heard several
      upward slurred calls, "hoooo-weeee", a 'doit' in jazz parlance. This was
      from 06:20-06:28 about 40 minutes before sunrise, 07:08. There were also
      multiple Great Horned Owls, 06:20-06:34, and a Northern Pygmy-Owl calling
      continuously, 06:20-06:35.
      This is one of the best owling spots I have found within 20 minutes
      of my house. It is 2.7 miles south of route 20 between milemarkers 7.88 and
      8.09 (only visable northbound). There is a large equestrian-sized parking
      lot with restrooms and picnic tables on the east side of the road. There is
      very good hearing with no significant road noise, water noise, or wind and
      no houses nearby. This morning the predawn soundscape was enhanced with
      turkeys gobbling and Wood Ducks flying along the creek. I have visited
      here about five times this fall and winter and have had Great Horned,
      Northern Pygmy-, Western Screech-, Barn, and Long-eared, at least three
      species per visit.
      Another good place is near Kelly Family Kamping about 1.1 mile
      south of Route 20 near milemarker 9.46. There are good pullouts on both
      sides of the road and good hearing for the same reasons. Here I have had
      Great Horned, Northern Pygmy-, and Western Screech-Owls.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2006
        What a coincidence - there was a Long-Eared Owl sitting on our gatepost
        last night when we returned home. He didn't seem to want to move, giving
        us a great look from about 30 feet away as he swiveled his head
        around. Finally he flew off, displaying those improbably long
        wings. Definitely a "first-class encounter!"

        Tim Bray
        Middle Ridge, Albion