Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Feb 12, 2006
      The Tufted Ducks at Borax Lake can be very difficult
      to find. On Friday I spent the last hour of daylight
      scanning the entire flock of about 5,000 scaup without
      seeing a Tufted Duck. This morning I returned with a
      group of seven students (in a Vertebrate Biology
      course) and couldn't bore them too long while
      searching, so luckily I managed to find within 10
      minutes a male TUFTED DUCK with a very short but
      distinct tuft and all students eventually got to see
      it. Presumably this was the same individual seen last
      Sunday by Vishnu, Geoff Heineken and Cheryl Watson,
      and I have no doubt that this was a different
      individual than the two with longer tufts that I found
      in January, so there are at least three different male
      TUFTED DUCKS plus the hybrid. Good luck to anyone else
      who searches for them--and beware of a lone male
      RING-NECKED DUCK among them, seen both Friday and
      today.

      Since finding the KUMLIEN'S-like GULL on 16 January, I
      had not seen a single gull on the docks at Pirate's
      Cove, Clearlake Park, until today. Although many gulls
      were present, none was unexpected. The hordes of gulls
      are still out in the water at Clearlake Oaks.

      At Detert Reservoir, there were six HOODED MERGANSERS
      and 21 CANVASBACKS last evening, but I was unable to
      find the mergansers today.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • stevestump