Burrowing Owl in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
      Sun, 05 Feb 2006 -- Late this afternoon during the Superbowl game (yes, I'd
      rather be birding), there was a BURROWING OWL at the end of Burris Lane in
      Potter Valley sunning itself by the mouth of its burrow. The burrow is
      located on the distant grassy hillside about 400 yards SE of the high point
      in the road. There is an outcrop of rocks, and the burrow is below and in
      front of those rocks. I have seen an owl in this same location several
      times over the last year and a half. Today there were at least two Beechy
      Ground-Squirrels active around the mouth of the same burrow. Scope is best,
      but it could be seen with binoculars.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2009
        Sat, 07 Mar 2009 -- From 3:30-4:00 this afternoon there was a BURROWING OWL
        enjoying the sunshine at the mouth of its burrow at the end of Burris Lane
        in Potter Valley. I have seen one at this same burrow system over a period
        of years but with no consistency. The burrow is to the SE of the top of the
        knoll and can best be seen with a scope. Look for a distant grassy hillside
        with an outcrop of rocks. In front of the rocks are several burrows with a
        lot of ground squirrel activity. The owl was sitting in the open near one
        of the burrows. After 4:00 it scrunched down in the mouth of the burrow and
        was harder to recognize.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, CA