Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
      This morning there were about 5000 scaup (I didn't try
      to count this time) at Borax Lake, where I relocated
      one of the male TUFTED DUCKS and was very fortunte to
      relocate (and obtain blury photos of) the male TUFTED
      DUCK X SCAUP hybrid found by Kathy Robertson
      yesterday. It's definitely a hybrid with a short tuft
      and a dark but not solidly dark back that is paler
      toward the front and the dark extends farther down the
      sides than in the other male scaup.

      Also present was a rather uniformly brown female duck
      appearing slightly smaller than the scaup and lacking
      white on the head. I'm fairly certain it was a female
      TUFTED DUCK with an extremely short tuft. However, it
      dived frequently and was a bit too distant to obtain
      photos or to be 100% certain.

      Rather bizarre was a female duck among the scaup that
      I think was a SCAUP X MERGANSER hybrid. Unfortuntely
      it was too distant to photograph. It resembled a
      female scaup with: a scaup-like bill; a brown but more
      slender head lacking a crest or a distinct white patch
      but with an ill-defined pale area on the cheek; a
      golden iris; a blackish chest contrasting with white
      underparts; brownish upperparts and rear; long white
      stripes on the wings; and, most noticeably, a
      distinctly longer body and longer tail, with the tail
      held higher above the water.

      Elsewhere, two WESTERN GULLS (3rd-basic and adult)
      were at Austin Park, Clearlake.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County