Lake County Birds - Addendum

  • KatBirdCA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
      Forgot to mention in my previous post that I saw two male Eurasian Wigeons in
      Lake County today. They were in the previously reported location, in the
      flooded ag fields just east of Rodman Slough, on the north side of the
      Nice-Lucerne Cutoff road.

      Kathy Robertson
      Hayward, CA

    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
        This morning there were about 5000 scaup (I didn't try
        to count this time) at Borax Lake, where I relocated
        one of the male TUFTED DUCKS and was very fortunte to
        relocate (and obtain blury photos of) the male TUFTED
        DUCK X SCAUP hybrid found by Kathy Robertson
        yesterday. It's definitely a hybrid with a short tuft
        and a dark but not solidly dark back that is paler
        toward the front and the dark extends farther down the
        sides than in the other male scaup.

        Also present was a rather uniformly brown female duck
        appearing slightly smaller than the scaup and lacking
        white on the head. I'm fairly certain it was a female
        TUFTED DUCK with an extremely short tuft. However, it
        dived frequently and was a bit too distant to obtain
        photos or to be 100% certain.

        Rather bizarre was a female duck among the scaup that
        I think was a SCAUP X MERGANSER hybrid. Unfortuntely
        it was too distant to photograph. It resembled a
        female scaup with: a scaup-like bill; a brown but more
        slender head lacking a crest or a distinct white patch
        but with an ill-defined pale area on the cheek; a
        golden iris; a blackish chest contrasting with white
        underparts; brownish upperparts and rear; long white
        stripes on the wings; and, most noticeably, a
        distinctly longer body and longer tail, with the tail
        held higher above the water.

        Elsewhere, two WESTERN GULLS (3rd-basic and adult)
        were at Austin Park, Clearlake.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County