Lake County Birds

  • KatBirdCA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2006
      Hi Birders,

      I did some birding in Lake County today (Sat, 2/4/06), in very cool and windy
      weather.

      At Borax Lake, I searched for the previously reported Tufted Ducks. I did
      not see either of the two reported adult males with full tufts, but I did find
      an adult male bird that I believe may be a Tufted Duck x Scaup hybrid (see
      Sibley, bottom of page 91), . The bird had what I would describe as a crest rather
      than a tuft. The color of the back was intermediate between a Tufted Duck
      and Scaup (the photo does not show this well). I have posted a (blurry) photo
      on the Mendobirds website, of my supposed hybrid adjacent to Lesser & Greater
      Scaup males. Comments/opinions welcome.

      I had a flyover Bald Eagle as I was heading north on Hwy 20 north of
      Clearlake Oaks.

      Also, yesterday (2/3/06), I saw a female Phainopepla at Lakeside County Park
      (off of Soda Bay Rd.). Can any of you locals let me know how rare/common this
      species is at this location at this time of year.

      Good birding,
      Kathy Robertson
      Hayward, CA

    • catowhee
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 19, 2009
        I spent today (Monday, January 19, 2009) in Lake County searching for
        three birds that had been noted in earlier posts. At about 9:00 a.m.,
        I found the presumed ICELAND GULL on the pier at Austin Park in
        Clearlake. The bird was conveniently standing next to a 1st-cycle
        GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, allowing for easy comparison. Comparing my
        mental image against the excellent photographs posted by Floyd Hayes,
        I am convinced I found the same bird that he initially reported.

        Next I visited Lakeside County Park in search of the reported
        YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER. Though the day was beautiful and the birds
        abundant, the sapsucker was not cooperative. I suppose the children
        playing frisbee on the ball field and the maintenance guy circling the
        grounds with his tractor/mower might possibly have had something to do
        with it. A trio of WOOD DUCKS on the nearby slough were untypically
        non-skittish, allowing extended viewing. A large flock (perhaps 30 or
        more) of CANADA GEESE were floating off-shore in the lake, with
        perhaps as many as half a dozen CACKLING GEESE in their midst.

        Undaunted by the lack of success, I headed for the mouth of Kelsey
        Creek in Clear Lake State Park in pursuit of the reported SWAMP
        SPARROW. I found the little niche in the reeds that seemed to be a
        smorgasbord for all kinds of ground foragers: a VIRGINIA RAIL, a SORA,
        a FOX SPARROW, two MARSH WRENS (staying unbelievably long periods out
        in the open), a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and at least half a dozen SONG
        SPARROWS were alternating scratching around and dashing for cover. Try
        as I might (and, believe me, I tried hard for over two hours) I was
        unable to turn any of the variously plumaged Song Sparrows into their
        Swamp cousin. In addition to the usual cast of AMERICAN WHITE
        PELICANS, RING-BILLED AND HERRING GULLS, COOTS, AND COMMON MERGANSERS,
        the lake also hosted a small flotilla of SCAUP (I took them to be
        GREATER, but wouldn't bet more than a few cents on it) and a female
        GOLDENEYE (all bets are off on which one).

        Not liking the one in three success rate, I went back to Lakeside
        County Park, spending another fruitless half hour. I decided to make a
        pit stop before starting the three hour drive back home. As I came out
        of the restroom, the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER flew over my head and
        landed in a Eucalyptus tree about fifty feet away. The time was 4:45
        p.m. And, yes, only one other car was in the parking area: a guy
        silently metal detecting the picnic area. No surprise here, but early
        morning or late evening appears best, especially in the areas heavily
        used by other recreationers.

        Happy Birding,

        Mike Stanley
        Grass Valley, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 20, 2011
          18 April 2011 -- Sorry for the delay in reporting. On the 16th and 18th I
          did some birding in Lake Co. incidental to the tricolor survey and found the
          following birds of interest to me: TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS at Lyon's Creek,
          Highland Springs Road, and Adobe Creek Reservoir. YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS
          at Lyon's Creek and Adobe Creek. A male HOODED ORIOLE at Paradise Cove on
          Highway 20 visible in palms from near the call box by milemarker 23.00.
          Five GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES and sixteen more male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS at
          Nice in the wetland along Lakeshore Boulevard behind the Sentry Market. One
          male PHAINOPEPLA in Upper Lake in a prominent tree with mistletoe on the
          north side of Hwy 20 (getting closer to Mendocino!).

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • Jerry White
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 20, 2014
            This morning at about 7:05 AM I found a HORNED LARK  in the parking lot at Anderson Marsh State Park  Headquarters (the ranch house) off of Anderson Marsh Parkway near Lower Lake . I watched the bird for nearly 5 minutes, then went for a camera and returned about 15 minutes later but could not refind it.
            Later in the morning at Callayomi Rd off of Butts Canyon Rd I found 2 BURROWING OWLS. There was the continuing bird on a mound along the first drainage channel and then the 2nd bird was on a mound along the second drainage channel across from the residence.   Jerry White
          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2014
              3/1/14 0905

              I birded Scott's Valley Rd. this morning from Blue Lakes to Lakeport and at the 3300 Block nearest Lakeport I saw approximately 300-400  Tri-colored Blackbird. They were in a mixed flock of Brewers and Red-winged Blackbird and Starling. I counted by 10's at least 200 male birds foraging on the ground and moving in flight in two different fields.
              Also on Scott's Valley Rd. were 2 Peregrine Falcon and a Merlin.
              Around 0950 I went to Rodman Slough and found my FOS Northern Rough-winged Swallow (1) and Barn Swallow (1) along with Tree and Violet-green Swallows. Steve Stump

            • stevestump
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 21, 2014
                4/21/14 0905

                This morning at the Rodman Slough pond east of the bridge, Jerry White and I view 2 Whimbrel. Also, there was a Solitary Sandpiper and Eurasian/Green-Winged Teal Intergrade. Steve Stump

              • stevestump
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4, 2014

                  5/4/14 3pm

                  This morning at 7 am there was a single Whimbrel at the Rodman Slough pond. I came back after birding Elk Mtn, Rd. and it was there at 3pm this afternoon. This morning there were Dunlin, peeps and Semipalmated Plover but I did not see them this afternoon. The pond is drying quickly. Steve Stump

                • stevestump
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2014

                    5/4/14 3pm

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2014

                      7/7/14 1930

                      This evening (7:30 pm) at the Kelsey Creek Outlet in Clear Lake State Park, there were 2 Forster's Tern, 1 American Avocet and about 150 peeps. I was able to identify 25 Western Sandpipers and 5 Least Sandpipers. Also continuing was a solo Purple Martin.

                      Earlier at Borax Lake was 28 Wilson's Phalarope. Steve Stump

                    • stevestump
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 17, 2014

                        10/17/14 8am

                        This morning at Rodman Slough, South of the bridge there remained 10 Marbled Godwit and 8 American Avocets. North of the bridge were 2 Immature White-faced Ibis.

                        Also, at Detert Reservoir in Middletwon (Butts Canyon Rd) this afternoon there was an Eurasian Wigeon with alot of American Wigeon and other ducks. Steve Stump

                      • stevestump
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 12, 2014
                          11/12/14 1615

                          Following the tip from Dave Woodward this morning, I went directly to  Rodman slough to search for Tundra Swans. Immediately upon arrival 8 Tundra Swan flew overhead then flew North of the bridge. Within 5 minutes, three more groups flew over but did not land(maybe because I was on the island) for a total of 55. 42 of them headed East toward Lucerne. Also present was a Snow Goose, Greater White-fronted Goose, 7 Cackling Goose, a White-faced Ibis and a Marbled Godwit. Steve Stump

                        • stevestump
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 28, 2015

                            2/28/15 3 pm

                            The Mew Gull found Feb 19th by Jerry White and seen the 26th by Dave Woodward continues at Lucerne Harbor. Also, the Barrow's Goldeneye Dave found on the 26th at mile marker 20.81 continued today but at mile marker 20.11    Steve Stump

                            Mew Gull

                            Barrow's Goldeneye