Re: [Mendobirds] Ten Mile sightings

  • Demian Ebert
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
      Good evening-
      George's email of last week jogged my memory. Chuck Vaughn and I saw a
      banded gull at Van Damme several years ago. I started wondering if it was
      the same bird. So today, in a true test of the data base, I queried Western
      Gull, Van Damme, 1996 (cause George told me that was the year). Lo and
      behold, there are two records: March 2 and March 24, 1996. The bird in
      question was banded on the left leg, black color band above the knee, metal
      band below that bearing the numbers 2406 01341. I can't seem to find the
      report I got from the Bird Banding Lab, but obviously it's the same bird.

      It's amazing that it's been 10 years between observations. And that when
      re-found, it was at the same beach.

      Demian

      On 1/23/06, chaniot@... <chaniot@...> wrote:

      > <snip>

      On January 8th Matthew Matthiessen, Chuck Vaughn, and I saw a
      banded, adult WESTERN GULL sitting on the entrance sign to Van Damme State
      Park. It had an aluminum band and a black color band on the left leg, and I
      was able to read the entire number, 2406 01341, through my telescope at
      about 20 feet. Today I received word back that this gull was banded on 24
      Jun 1989 near the Farallon Islands as a juvenile too young to fly. When
      we saw it, it was about halfway through its 17th year!

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      these addresses:

      Yahoo! Groups Links