Coast Mendo Report - 9/2

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2001
      This morning I worked the south coast of Mendocino County. The day
      started off well with a very cooperative BLUE GROUSE along Mountain View
      Rd. Along Minder Hole Rd were two AMERICAN REDSTARTS (an adult male and
      an adult female) along Miner Hole Rd. Also of note along Miner Hole Rd
      was a TOWNSEND'S WARBLER. Along the Garcia River at the end of Miner
      Hole Rd was one PECTORAL SANDPIPER and two immature BLACK-CROWNED
      NIGHT-HERONS. Along the Garcia River and the end of Windy Hollow Rd
      were a pair of WOOD DUCKS and a CASSIN'S VIREO.

      I concluded my coastal birding with a walk out to the mouth of the
      Garcia River. On the beach were a pair of BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS mixed in
      with the Sanderlings. At the river mouth was one ELEGANT TERN roosting
      with the gulls and three SNOWY PLOVERS (only one of which was banded -
      aqua on left leg, nothing on right).

      - Matthew Matthiessen