Continuing Sandhill Crane

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2006
      Tuesday - 24 January 2006 - 11:00AM to noon - The Sandhill Crane continues
      at mile marker 2.14 Reynolds Highway, which is east of Hwy 101 and north of
      Willits. The bird continues to associate with a large flock of Wild
      Turkeys, of which I watched two different turkeys try to run the crane off
      without success. The crane and the flock moved out-of-sight into the
      thick trees heading west towards the water. I was unable to get close
      enough to establish an actual height of the bird ....it would be nice to
      determine if it is a Lesser or Greater Sandhill.

      About a 1/2 mile south on Reynolds Highway I was able to scope two Bald
      Eagles, one mature and one first winter bird, atop wood fence posts in the
      middle of the flooded valley. Also nearby were numerous White-tailed Kites
      and a Northern Harrier.

      On the flooded water on the far north end of the valley (pullout on the
      west side of Reynolds with lots of garbage) were various species of
      waterfowl, including 10 Common Goldeneyes.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center